Farming Magazine - October, 2012
NAMSC & IMSI 2012 Annual Meeting
October 22-25, Mystic, Conn.
The North American Maple Syrup Council & International Maple Syrup Institute 2012 Annual Meeting will be hosted by the Maple Syrup Producers Association of Connecticut, October 22-25 in Mystic, Conn.
Connecticut maple producers invite everyone to the 53rd annual meeting of the North American Maple Syrup Council (NAMSC) and 38th annual meeting of the International Maple Syrup Institute (IMSI) to be held at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa. The convention formally begins on Monday, October 22, and concludes with the annual awards banquet on Thursday, October 25.
All NAMSC and IMSI meetings, workshops and technical sessions will be at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa, located at 625 North Road (Rt. 117), Groton, CT 06340 (exit 88 off I-95). For those of you flying in, the T.F. Green Airport (PVD) in Providence, R.I., is a 35-minute drive and Bradley International Airport (BDL) in Hartford/Springfield is about a 60-minute drive to the hotel.
Technical sessions will include the following:
Tuesday, Oct. 23
- Building a Website - Karl Zander
- Does Timing of Tap Removal Impact Tree Health? - Dr. Gary Graham
- Formalizing Maple Syrup Production - Dr. Gary Graham
- Statistics Industry Changes and Updates, Regulations in Vt. - Henry Marckres
Wednesday, Oct. 24
- UVM Proctor Center Update - Dr. Tim Perkins
- Impacts of Reverse Osmosis on Syrup Composition and Flavor - Dr. Abby van den Berg
- Modeling and Simulation of Sap Flow in Maple Trees - John Stockie
- Continuing Experience with Fresh Maple Soft Drinks, Maple Popcorn and Maple Cotton Candy - Steve Childs
- Economics of Managing Maples for Syrup or Saw Timber Production - Michael Farrell
- The Benefits Associated to Sanitation of the Maple Sap Collection System - Luc Lagace
- Identification of Fungal Contamination in Maple Syrup - Beth Calder
- Invasive Plants and Their Danger to Sugarbushes - Tim Wilmot
Registration packets for conference attendees will be sent out to regular attendees, but if you want to be sure you receive a mailing, please email Ron Wenzel at email@example.com with your name, address, phone and email address or, if you prefer you can write to Ron Wenzel, 522 East Street, Hebron, CT 06248.
A complete registration package can also be downloaded as a PDF. Visit www.ctmaple.org/namscmsi-annual-meeting.html for the NAMSC/IMSI Annual Meeting Registration Package.
The MSPAC looks forward to hosting the event in October and is confident you will enjoy your visit to the Constitution State!